Monday, October 22, 2012

Rough First Times

Today was uneventful for a for a Monday to say the least. Usually, mondays are the busiest days as it is right after the weekend - all the doctor's need catching up with the helpers; the psychologists are back; physiotherapy starts up again; ergotherapy begins as well. Stressful, to say the least. There is people running around everywhere the whole morning until visiting hours begin at 2 pm. Doctors, nurses, helpers, patients just hustling about one another in the corridor and dodging between each other in the rooms; it reminds me of Shibuya and the crossing, the whole disorder that it entailed - with people walking and crossing the street wherever they pleased.

As I said, at 2 pm it quietens down as visiting hours start. Everything dies down: all the chaos, the stress, the noise level - all of it. It's okay during the day as it is bright out and the sun is still able to radiate through my brightly decorated windows to keep me positive. But it's a whole different story for the evening visiting hours from 5 to 8 pm. It's already dark out; the hospital lights make you dreary and sleepy; and the thoughts get stronger and louder, just like a lion cub does as it grows older.

So far, I've always had someone be here with me for the nightly visiting hours because of those reasons, so that I would be distracted and feel more at home; it also showed that I have support and encouragement from others. But tonight is different. Tonight is the first night that no one came. A dear family friend had planned to come but tragic events came in the way and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. The notice I was given was too short notice to find someone else to come, so I had to figure out how to keep myself sane and positive. And so far, I've succeeded.

Today, I have made 30 origami cranes, 3 window color paintings, written a story, read in my book, made a friendship bracelet, etc. I've been occupying myself productively. Looking at the list just now, I realize that everything is something creative. I've come to love being creative and producing things while being here. It's something I hope to keep up with once I am well and healthy again.

I am able to survive tonight, by myself. I can do this. I have come so far - this is no setback for me. I won't let those thoughts get the best of me, I will get the best of them by staying positive and doing everything I possibly can to occupy myself. Starting with a movie, yup, that sounds good.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    musst mir morgen unbedingt erzählen, was Du Dir angeschaut hast heute...komm in letzter Zeit so gar nicht zum Fernsehen oder Video schauen....

    Finde, Du bist eine tole, starke junge Frau und freu mich schon seeeehr auf morgen :-)

    ganz liebe Grüße und träum "süß"
    Sanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Sanna, das bedeutet mir echt viel. Und sicher kann ich dir darueber erzaehlen hihi. Freu mich schon :)

      Delete
    2. Hab mich heute echt gefreut, dass wir uns gesehen haben, Hannah - war so schön mit Dir zu plaudern...und vor lauter reden hab ich vergessen dich zu fragen, was Du gestern gesehen hast - das holen wir dann beim nächsten Mal nach, ok? Muss vorher unbedingt noch ein passendes Foto finden!

      Umarm Dich und wünsch Dir eine erholsame Nacht :-)

      Delete
  2. keep yourself busy, occupy yourself with positive activities, do not think about the thoughts!
    hope you had a sound sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks anon! that's exactly what i did. and i slept okay, not the greatest but it could've been worse

      Delete